Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Moses’ Identity Crisis, III

What can we learn from this story of the burning bush? After all, that was Moses long ago. What does it have to say to me today? Sure, “God” is out there somewhere - if He really even exists at all – and I’ve got my own life to tend to. I’ve got things relatively under control and more or less have everything I really need. Sure, it’s nice to reflect on my different identities and understand that they’re all pretty much temporal…

I want to suggest that we look one more time at the story, this time seeing it as a kind of “template” for understanding how God is calling people today.

The burning bush is the cross. From bookstores to bumperstickers, movies to music, most “Westerners” bump into the “cross” on a daily basis. Many have grown to ignore it, even mocking “those crazy Christians who love Jeeezus…”

But every now and then a person will stop to seriously investigate. As they look closely they’ll be warned of the holiness of the situation. “Take off your shoes…

If they persist, they will hear what God is speaking through that cross. “I am God. I see your affliction, I hear your cries, I know your sorrow. I have come to deliver you from slavery and to give you freedom. You have an important part to play.” This message is the Gospel.

Almost immediately, by some deeply ingrained human habit, that person starts to look at themselves. “Who am I? I can’t imagine myself being part of such a thing…

But if they’re not fooling around, and keep listening in spite of their uncertainty, they’ll hear a bit more.

I am with you. When you complete your mission, people will worship me here.” As you walk with Me, more people will come to this cross.

So the question is, "Do you want God to be with you? Do you want to be part of His story?"

1 comment: